We saw so many amazing beauty looks on the Emmys red carpet yesterday, but one of our favourites had to be Emilia Clarke. The Game of Thrones star paired her dainty Chanel dress with a natural, texturised high ponytail and neat centre part. We're dying to try the look at home (as usual!), so we spoke to celebrity hairstylist and international creative artist for Schwarzkopf Professional, Scott Sloan, to find out how. Keep reading..
"Although I love Emilia's Game of Thrones look with her peroxide locks and twisted braids, she looks absolutely gorgeous back to her natural hair here. This is a stunning modern take on the ponytail, and the perfect contrast to the hair she is famous for," says Scott.
- You want a lot of volume and texture for this look, so prep damp hair with a volumising product like Schwarzkopf Professional Osis Body Me ($28.95). This product is great as it is also going to protect hair from heat styling.
- Using a hair dryer and round bristle brush, blow dry hair straight. Make sure you flip head over to maximise volume and don't worry about getting the hair too smooth. If you have particularly curly hair, use a straightener to neaten it up, pulling hair up and out away from the head again to make sure the hair doesn't get flat.
- Create a centre part and then imagine hair is in thirds from the front to the back. Leave the front third, and pick up the next third and flip it over the front. You want to start teasing the hair using a comb, right at the roots, close to the crown. Work a little bit of teasing into that final third as well if needed. Make sure you only ever tease from underneath as you need to be able to hide it.
- Flip hair back over and gently brush the top layer to ensure the teasing is hidden. Pull hair into a ponytail at the centre back of the head, pulling mainly from the sides so you don't pull down the height, and pulling up towards the ponytail, pushing that height up from underneath. The centre part will stay at the front and will be less noticeable at the back due to the height. Use an elastic the same colour as your hair to hold in place.
- Finish by gently brushing the ponytail if it needs it, but leave it quite textured and a little messy. Finish with a glossing spray with hold like Moroccan Oil Luminous Hairspray Strong Hold ($34.95). Leave a few strands free at the front to frame the face.
Schwarzkopf stockists: 1800 251 887