Anna Kendrick constantly steps out looking her best on the red carpet (hello, sophisticated chic at the Oscars!), but she has recently outdone herself in the beauty style stakes. Cue, her pretty twist on the traditional ponytail she sported at the 2014 Rebels With a Cause Gala.
We liked it so much, we got one of our favourite celebrity hair stylists, Barney Martin (who has tamed the tresses of A-listers from Miranda Kerr to Elle Macpherson) to take us through exactly how to achieve the look ourselves — and what he thought of it, of course!
"Braids are great for creating all different looks," says Barney. "And with Winter coming up, braids are a good way to tame unruly hair. The dry, cold winds that we get can cause hair to become frizzy and static, making it hard to manage at the best of times. They're also a great way to disguise unkept hair."
Want to try Anna's style yourself? Simply follow Barney's easy steps:
1. To start, part hair into a side part, taking it slightly lower than normal for something different.
2. On one side, starting from the part, split the front section of your hair into three parts and loosely braid, tying with a hair elastic at the bottom of each.
3. Take the rest of your hair and sweep into a low ponytail, securing with a hair elastic.
4. Wrap the ends of the braids around the top of the pony tail (covering the band) and secure with pins, underneath the pony.
5. To finish this look, soften the front fringe area and pony by using a large tong to create soft waves. Finish off with a light hairspray like Pantene Stay Smooth Hairspray ($7.99).