Coconuts. Those round balls of tropical goodness are having a bit of a moment, with celebrities including Lara Bingle and Jesinta Campbell claiming they eat the insides, drink the water and lather the oil on their bodies. Now I'm no celebrity, but I joined the coconut love society (I should trademark that) about six months ago and let me tell you, it's a very special little nut. Yesterday I met with ex-model and inspiring businesswoman, Teisha Lowry, founder of the organic beauty range, Indah. She is so pretty I forgot my questions, so it's lucky she's a wealth of knowledge on essential oils for skincare, and, coconuts. A qualified aromatherapist, Teisha produces body butters and balms, but her bestseller is her hand pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil ($15). To find out everything you need to know about coconut oil, keep reading...
Here's what you need to know about the product:
- Coconut is the mother of all superfoods. It helps fight off the free radicals that are constantly attacking your cells.
- Indah Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is hand pressed using fresh coconut flesh and is free of chemicals, artificial flavours and preservatives.
- The wild organic coconuts are grown in rich volcanic soil on the slopes of Mount Agung in Bali.
- The coconut oil softens and heals dry skin, removes dead skin cells and encourages new, healthier tissue.
- It is 55-57 percent high in lauric acid, which is also found in breast milk (weird but cool) and has antimicrobial properties. It is a medium chain fatty acid and provides your body with pure energy. It also contains capric and caprylic acids.
- Coconut oil has anti-ageing properties and hydrating (drinking coconut water is more hydrating than water).
Coconut oil's daily uses:
- Cooking — Use in replacement of your normal cooking oil.
- Smoothies — It'll thicken them up and make them taste even more delicious.
- Makeup remover — Teisha puts the oil on her face and leaves it for about 15 minutes. It lifts the makeup from the skin because only oil can break through oil!
- Hair mask — Cover your hair in the oil and leave overnight for a truly nourishing treatment without the oily residue.
- Body moisturiser — Lather all over your body. It will also exfoliate your skin.
- Supplement — Teisha has up to three tablespoons a day. That's right — eat it like icecream!