The BC Coroners Service has confirmed that Cory Monteith's death was caused by a "mixed drug toxicity" of heroin and alcohol after completing autopsy and toxicology tests on Monday US time. Canadian authorities released their findings in a statement today, saying, "At this point there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith's death was anything other than a most-tragic accident." They continued, "Mr. Monteith's family has been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the death. On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time."
Cory Monteith was found dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia, shortly after noon on Saturday (Sunday July 14 AEST). He was 31 years old. The Glee star was vocal about his past struggles with substance abuse, and he completed a month-long stint in a treatment facility in April and had the full support of co-stars, fans, and his girlfriend, Lea Michele. The actress' rep released a statement to POPSUGAR in the wake of Cory's death, saying, "We ask that everyone kindly respect Lea's privacy during this devastating time."