Kanye West gave an impassioned interview for W magazine recently, and, as usual, the rapper and new dad held nothing back. Coming on the heels of his latest album, Yeezus — as well as a candid sit-down with The New York Times — Kanye touched on his relationship with Kim Kardashian and even got sassy about her mum, Kris Jenner. He also gave insight into his current career goal — "To make Kanye West as dope as possible" — and reportedly declined to identify the outfit he was wearing because he "no longer believes in dropping brand names" unless it's his own. Here's more from Kanye West in W magazine:
- On the inspiration behind his track "I Am a God": "Nobody can tell me where I can and can't go. Man, I'm the number one living and breathing rock star. I am Axl Rose; I am Jim Morrison; I am Jimi Hendrix. I made that song because I am a god. I don't think there's much more explanation. I'm not going to sit here and defend sh*t. That sh*t is rock 'n' roll, man. That sh*t is rap music. I am a god. Now what?"
- On steering Kim's style: "Nobody can tell my girl what to do. She just needed to be given some platforms of information to work from. For her to take that risk in front of the world, it just shows you how much she loves me. And how much she actually loves the opportunity to learn. You got, like, a million companies saying, 'This is impacting your brand! This is impacting your fans! And blah blah blah.' But she still sees this light of beauty."
- When Kris tells him "Great job!" after he plays the Kim-inspired track "Awesome": "Great job? [Toasting with his champagne glass] Great job, Baccarat, for making a glass that can hold liquid! [Looking down at his waist] Great job, belt loops, for keeping my pants up!"
See more funny, slightly ridiculous quotes from Kanye when you keep reading.
- On appearing on Keeping Up With the Kardashians: "Oh, that's just all for love. It's simply that. At a certain point, or always, love is more important than any branding, or any set of cool people, or attempting to impress anyone. Because true love is just the way you feel. Thoughts and feelings can disagree sometimes."
- On his own narcissism: "On one end, I try to scale it back, because I don't want to close any of the doors needed to create the best product possible. But my ego is my drug. My drug is, 'I'm better than all you other motherf*ckers. Kiss my *ss!'"