The entrance of Hoyts at the Entertainment Quarter was awash with Kath and Kim lookalikes (with some Sharons and Kels) awaiting the arrival of their favourite characters at the Sydney premiere of Kath & Kimderella last night. The screams intensified as Kel Knight (Glenn Robbins) pulled up in his butcher’s car with Sharon Strzelecki in the passenger seat — he told us that she actually got a bit car sick on the way — and then a bright pink hummer arrived carrying the movie’s leading ladies, Kath Day-Knight (Jane Turner) and Kim Craig (Gina Riley). The foxy ladies of Fountain Lakes returned to the red carpet after Sunday night’s Melbourne premiere in different outfits from the movie — Kath in a shiny white jumpsuit and Kim in a blue, embellished, ruffled mullet-style dress. The cast linked up with designer Alex Perry for some group shots — Kim said she was the “new Megan Gale” and Sharon tried to get a fashion deal happening with her own sports line — before making the press rounds. Check out what they had to share with us — Kath & Kimderella is out Sep. 6.
- Kath on her premiere preparation: “I’ve been filled and grilled and sucked and plucked, getting ready for tonight — it’s a very exciting night.”
- Kath on the bling in her hair: “It’s stuck with super glue so I’ll probably have to cut it out. But that’s what you do for the fans.”
- Sharon on the fans: “There are so many lookalikes! I didn’t know who was the real Mrs. D, or who was the real me, actually! I got a bit confused. There were so many good Sharon lookalikes.”
- Sharon on her favourite thing about Italy: “Look, I had an unfortunate accident on my way back from Italy because Kim’s luggage fell out of the overhead cabin and hit me on the head. So I couldn’t actually remember much of it. But Italy’s a beautiful country — the food, the people. The people are gorgeous. I had a great time.”
- Sharon’s advice on what people should do in Italy: “I don’t even have the time to tell you, but the Panthenon (Pantheon), the Collectimaseum (Colosseum) — that’s amazing, go and see that. There are so many things. It’s not Fountain Gate — it’s not Fountain Lakes either — but it’s pretty nice.”
- Kel on seeing Kath with another man: “You know what? People have often asked me that question. Italian men don’t threaten me. I saw her down at the fruit and veg shop the other day, and she was squeezing Tony’s avocadoes, and I said, ‘Fine by me, I know exactly what you’re doing. Good luck to you, I say.’ She’s safe as far as I’m concerned.”