Last night, the area around Event Cinemas on George Street in Sydney was transformed to welcome the stars of Star Trek Into Darkness to the Australian premiere of the film. Huge Star Trek images were projected onto surrounding buildings, such as the former Planet Hollywood, as Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban and director J.J. Abrams arrived for the event. Fans who had been waiting for hours lined the red carpet for a glimpse of the actors — between interviews Chris distributed hugs to girls, and there were also plenty of screams for J.J., who had to be followed around by a burly bodyguard.
We were on the red carpet and spoke to the leading men as they made their way into the screening. Karl, who plays Bones, was excited to watch the movie for the first time, and J.J. said he was thrilled to get his cast back together for the sequel but added, “The one downside was they all have big opinions, because suddenly they were like, ‘Well I don’t know if Bones would [do that].’ And I’m like, ‘Dude.’ But they are lovely and smart, and we’re very lucky to get to work with these people. It was a blessing to work with this cast. They are spectacular.” In regards to the secrecy and twists with the plot, Chris said he was willing to go with J.J.’s plans no matter what they were: “We are absolutely part of the cult. If J.J. wants to keep secrets while filming, if he wants to hide things from fans to make the experience of them going to the film that much more exciting, I’m all for it.” We also asked the stars to sell Star Trek Into Darkness (out May 9) to people who aren’t so much Star Trek fans, so click through for what they said.