If there were any Oscar nominees on the frock hunt, they're likely putting in their requests for dresses as we speak. Monique Lhuillier's A/W '12 collection was filled with the kind of full-on dramatic glamour the designer's become known for — the kind that would light up any red carpet. This season, Lhuillier hones in on her craft with a dark, sexy tilt. Cut-outs, black and red lace, and edgier leather accents gave Monique's girl a vixen-esque quality, albeit one with a hint of the retro-inspired. Models hit the catwalk with slicked waves and red lips to further the '40s feel; we get a sense of the era's sultry side and a touch of the fashion forward in leather bands and angular sheer insets and cutouts. She marries both classic glamour and a modern sophistication effortlessly in every piece. It's one gorgeous design after the other — a rich palette and a wash of embellishment, lace, or a thigh-high slit to amp up every showstopper. But even when the show closes there's a sense that it still isn't finished — part two will be seeing our A-listers take the looks to the red carpet.
- Trends: Lace, leather, sequin embellishment.
- Colours: Red, black, and gold.
- Key Piece: The black, white, and red lace gown; the gold sequin-embellished pieces.
- Accessories: Wide leather belts at the waist, ankle-strap pointed-toe Manolo Blahnik heels.
- Who Would Wear It: You'll see it all over the red carpet.