Chia seeds are a great source of protein, fibre, calcium, and omega-3s and have been shown to help some individuals with weight loss. They're also an easy ingredient to throw into a baking recipe, like these gluten-free blueberry muffins.
If you are not familiar with xanthan gum, it's used in this recipe to keep the muffins moist. If you opt for wheat flour, this is one ingredient you can skip.
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Mix together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients; fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Scoop mixture into muffin pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Breads, Breakfast/Brunch, Muffins