Curly hair is gorgeous but it can be hard to style because it tends to be on the dry side and can be prone to frizziness. However, texture is definitely the way to go in Summer when poker straight strands can't handle the humidity so here are a few tips on caring for your curls.
- Use a shampoo and conditioner designed for curly hair. You wouldn't dream of using products designed for dry skin if you suffer from oily skin and the same logic applies to haircare. A targeted shampoo and conditioner, such as Aveda's Be Curly Shampoo and Conditioner ($29.95 each), is designed to enhance your natural curl and limit frizz. <p>Keep reading . . .
- Do make sure you're washing with warm water not hot water as this can futher dry out the hair. <p>
- Don't brush your hair, especially once it's dry — you'll lose the definition of the curl and add to frizz. Instead finger comb while the hair has conditioner on to detangle. <p>
- Air drying is much better than blow-drying if you have curly hair. It allows the curl to take on its natural shape. <p>
- If you do need your hair to be dry quickly though, make sure the diffuser attachment is added to the hairdryer and opt for a low heat. <p>
- Use a curl enhancer to "lock in" waves. Aveda's Be Curly Curl Control ($34.95) is a great product as it uses tamanu oil which is sourced from Vanuatu. Tamanu is an age-old ingredient for treating dry and coarse hair so is perfectly suited to styling curly hair. <p>
- If you have wavy hair and are looking to step it up, braid wet strands before bed and you'll wake up to curly hair! Elimate any frizz with a serum or curl enhancer.