Blake Lively's continuing to dominate red carpets across the US as she promotes her new movie Savages. From old Hollywood waves to a beach babe textured up 'do, Blake's most recent hairstyle, at the NYC premiere, is the best of both worlds: statement-making, yet simple to recreate. Read on for our step-by-step instructions to creating a fishtail plait and remember, if you're looking to get your braid nice and chunky like Blake's, consider clipping in some hair extensions before you start. Try Schwarzkopf Magic Hair Extensions ($44.95).
- Begin by pulling hair back into a ponytail (you can skip this step if you want a more casual feel to the braid; simply jump to step two and separate strands at the nape of the neck).
- Next separate the ponytail into two even sections
- Take about a half-inch portion of hair from the outer side of the right-hand section and cross it over so that it joins the left-hand section on the inside.
- Repeat the action but this time on the left-hand side.
- Depending on how chunky you want your braid to be, you can alter the width of the portions of hair you take. If you take a wider section your braid will be chunkier.
- Continue to cross the portions over until you reach about two inches from the bottom of your hair. Then secure the braid with an elastic.
- To style, you can bring the braid over one shoulder if it's long enough.
- If you want a more textured, less polished end result that is similar to Blake's, hold onto the bottom of the braid at the elastic and begin to gently push the hair upwards, creating a more lived-in texture. Move your fingers up the braid and repeat the action, holding with one hand and pushing up with the other, to create the effect the full way up the braid.
- Finally, finish off the ponytail with a jewelled or metallic band to add something special to the style. Try these options: Sportsgirl Silver Clean Covered Band ($9.95) or Topshop Gold Section Top Knot (approx $13.50) and secure with hairspray.