According to the Epsom Salt Council (yes, it exists!), there are many beauty benefits to Epsom Salts ($10.39), aka magnesium sulfate, as it's known in the world of science. So before you dismiss that unassuming milk-carton-like box at the chemist, here are five reasons you might want to give these soothing salts a whirl.
- As a hair volumiser: Much like sea salt sprays give hair body, Epsom salts help boost texture, too. Who knew?
- As a stress reducer: These salts aid in replenishing magnesium in the body, which can make energy levels increase. Which, in turn, can make you look better. A lift in magnesium also relieves stress, increasing serotonin levels and lowering blood pressure. It's a win all around.
- As a rejuvenating body scrub: Not only do the salts deep clean, but massaging handfuls of the crystals on premoistened skin can result in an exfoliating experience.
- As an mini facial experience: To help dry out oily skin and invigorate all other skin types, mix 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salts with your face cleanser, and then massage for a mini facial.
- As a skin-softening mask: For normal to dry skin, whip up a three-ingredient facial mask: blend 1/4 cup grated carrot, 1/2 teaspoon Epsom salts, and 1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise. Spread over predampened skin, wait 10 minutes, and remove.