Every time I put fake tan on, I get really dark bits around my elbows and ankles. The rest of the tan looks natural but these go orange and are so obviously fake-looking. How can I fix it? — Alison
The thing about fake tan is, it's great when it's great and bad when it's bad. But the good news is there are a few quick and easy tips for fixing up mistakes such as dark patches, which most likely occur on the dry areas of your body such as ankles, knees and elbows.
- Soak a cotton bud in lemon juice and rub it over the area. The citric acid in the lemon juice acts as a natural exfoliator. <p>
- Baking soda is another natural alternative. Massage it into damp skin, gently rubbing in circular motions. <p>Keep reading . . .
- If it's around the jaw line or on the face that you've messed up, your best bet is an alcohol-free toner such as
<product target="_blank" href="http://shop.priceline.com.au/skincare-products/face-care/skin-toners-products/neutrogena-alcohol-free-toner?p=39778">Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner</product> ($10.99). Soak a cotton pad and gently wipe the area to lift off the tan.
- Use a tan remover product such as
<product target="_blank" href="http://www.sttropez.com.au/self_tan_remover.html">St Tropez Self Tan Remover</product> ($24.95). This is especially effective if you've got tan on your palms during application. Simply rub a small amount between your hands and rinse off.
- Another great tan remover is Tuscan Tan Tan Removal Mitt ($20) which has two sides, one designed for complete exfoliation and removal and one designed to gently remove minor mistakes.
Preparation is key
- The key to not making fake tan mistakes in the first place is preparation <p>
- Exfoliate skin to create a smooth canvas for application (and remove any existing colour) <p>
- Moisturise dry areas such as ankles, knees, elbows and feet with an oil-free moisturiser. I also pop moisturise over a scar I have on my arm to ensure the tan doesn't get "stuck" to the uneven tissue <p>
- Using a tanning mitt to apply will help create an even application with minimal mistakes. Try
<product target="_blank" href="http://www.ellabache.com.au/products/great-tanningmitt/">Ella Baché Great Tanningmitt</product> ($15).
Stockists: Tuscan Tan (1300 136 937)