Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Benjamine Stone
Make 2017 the year you get a clean slate — and by that, we mean a flawless face and the perfect canvas for makeup. Here, we have rounded up the products POPSUGAR beauty editors truly love and exactly how we use them.
1. Eat your way to clear skin. Your skin is technically your largest organ, so if you're eating something that is making it inflamed, it will show via acne, redness, or other irritations. Following a clean, balanced diet (like this one!) can change everything from your face's texture to the appearance (or disappearance) of fine lines and pimples.
2. Sleep on a silk pillowcase. Not only will it make your blow-dry last longer, but it also helps reduce the chance of forming wrinkles. Since your face is less smushed and roughed up by a scratchy pillowcase, everything stays smoother for those hours of slumber. Try Slip Silk Pillowcase ($79) — Jen Atkin is a fan!
3. Use face oil. It doesn't matter if you have oily skin, because oil fights oil. And if you have dry skin, even better. Choose a face oil that feels and smells amazing to you (we like this holistic one from Tata Harper ($43)), and make it part of your nightly routine. The aromatherapy benefits are just a bonus.
4. Speaking of oil, try double cleansing. This ritual is the best way to ensure you go to bed with a clean yet hydrated face. Start by massaging a cleansing oil, such as Shu Uemura Anti-Oxi Cleansing Oil ($120), into dry skin. Add water and rise. Follow with a milky face wash, such as Chanel Lait Confort Creamy Cleansing Milk ($59). After, your skin will feel like butter, and there will be zero traces of smudged eyeliner or mascara.
5. Do a Korean beauty eye mask. K-beauty innovations tend to be ahead of the curve when it comes to unique textures — like gels or under-eye patches. We tested six of them to report back on the ones that actually work. Find the best one for you as well as concealer, and start loving your eye area again.
6. Try an at-home peel. One of the most effective ways to get rid of dull skin is a glycolic peel. There is no actual peeling involved. It's more like a clear "mask" that stings a bit, and then you wash it off. These are often done during facials, but as long as you test the product on a place like your arm to make sure you are not allergic, they are safe to do while you're watching Netflix in sweats. We like these Cane and Austin peel pads, which instantly give you a smoother face.
7. Wear SPF every day, even in the Winter. But actually do it! UV rays make skin more sensitive, according to top NYC dermatologist Dr. Amy Wechsler. And the sun can damage your skin, even when it's cold outside. Protect your skin now, and it will age better. Try Tatcha Pore Perfecting Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 35 ($92), which doesn't have that telltale sunscreen scent and acts like a primer for makeup.
8. Stop picking your face! You are likely getting scars, and we bet this was also your resolution last year. Make it work in 2017 by following this guide, which breaks down the psychology behind why we pick our faces and offers actionable techniques on how to stop. Now, back away from that magnifying mirror.