Oily skin is a pain, no one's denying that, but the counters and aisles are choc-full of oil-free products to help us avoid looking shiny all day long. But what about oily hair? As dry and damaged hair is the biggest concern for most people, it tends to get overlooked. Which isn't great if you' have to wash your hair frequently and shy away from products that you fear will only make the situation worse. As we're heading into Summer — where the heat increases the scalp's oil production — we're offering up some remedies.
- As with your skin, you don't want to remove all of the hair's natural oils, you just want to restore balance, so look for a shampoo and conditioner that does this. We recommend
<product target="_blank" href="http://www.aveda.com.au/">Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo and Conditioner</product> ($29.95 each) which remove excess sebum, leaving your hair and scalp healthy.
<p>Keep reading . . .
- Don't just shove it up in a bun and forget about it. Oily hair is more prone to picking up environmental pollutants, such as smoke, making your hair look and smell bad. If you can't get around to washing it, use a scented dry shampoo such as
<product target="_blank" href="http://shop.priceline.com.au/hair-products/hair-care/shampoo-and-conditioner-products/batiste-dry-shampoo--tropical?p=31760">Batiste Tropical Dry Shampoo</product> ($9.99).
- Apple cider vinegar is a good DIY remedy for oily hair. Dilute 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar in one cup of water and use to rinse hair after shampooing. <p>
- Don't condition the scalp. Only apply conditioner to the mid-lengths to ends of your hair. Avoid applying it to the roots as that will weigh hair down and make it feel greasier. <p>
- Avoid shine-enhancing products. A matte finish is more suited to your hair type so keep a styling powder such as
<product target="_blank" href="http://www.aveda.com.au/">Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo and Conditioner</product> ($29.95 each) with you at all times. It's small so is perfect for keeping in your desk drawer or handbag to rub into roots to reduce oilness.
- Like with skincare, a clay-based mask draws out excess oil and impurities from the scalp. Try
<product target="_blank" href="http://www.senseonline.com.au/Wella-125ml_P32803">Wella Regulate Mask for Greasy Scalps</product> ($32) or L’Oreal Professionnel Série Nature Purifiante Clay Masque ($34).
Stockists: Aveda (1300 300 054), L’Oreal Professionnel (1300 651 141)