These ’80s Halloween Costume Ideas Will Rock Your Leg Warmers Off
When it comes to Halloween, we have a lot of costume ideas, but when it comes to the ’80s, well, we’ve got no shortage of amazing costumes that’ll knock your leg warmers right off. In case you’re thinking of traveling back in time to the most tubular decade, we’ve come up with pop-culture-related ideas that range from iconic ’80s characters such as Claire Standish from “The Breakfast Club” to modern-day ’80s style favorites like Barb and Eleven from “Stranger Things.” Whether you want to creep people out, wear a couples costume with your partner, or dress up with a group of friends, these ideas cover all the costume bases. From Beetlejuice to Baby and Johnny to the whole “Ghostbusters” squad, these costumes are worth getting stoked about.
Blast back to the past when you take a peek at these pop culture costumes from the ’80s, and get ready for, like, a totally b*tchin’ Halloween.
– Additional reporting by Lauren Harano
"The Breakfast Club" Characters
- What to wear for Bender: Gray pants, a red flannel, a jean jacket, and sunglasses.
- What to wear for Andrew: White sneakers, a blue letterman jacket, and jeans.
- What to wear for Claire: A pink shirt with a long brown skirt and boots.
- What to wear for Brian: An olive green sweater with dark sunglasses and khakis.
- What to wear for Allison: Go with all black and gray, covering your whole body.
- What to wear: A black leather jacket and black sunglasses. Carry a fake, oversize gun.
Indiana Jones From "Indiana Jones"
- What to wear: Khaki pants, a collared shirt, leather jacket, messenger bag, and fedora.
Prince Akeem and Semmi From "Coming to America"
- What to wear for Akeem: There are so many looks you can channel from this movie, but the prince’s look upon arriving to America is among the best. Grab a faux fur and matching hat with a suit and red tie underneath. Don’t forget the black leather gloves.
- What to wear for Semmi: A black coat and matching hat, plus a suit with a patterned tie, are all you need. Make sure everything is oversize!
Lisa From "Weird Science"
- What to wear: You’ll just need a pair of blue underwear and a white, long-sleeved crop top. Big hair is a necessity.
The Geeks From "Sixteen Candles"
- What to wear: Go all out with geeky ’80s clothes, electronic gear strapped to your head, and maybe even some fake braces for the night.
The Griswolds From "Vacation"
- What to wear: See if your parents still have some geeky suburban ’80s clothes you can borrow.
Ren and Ariel From "Footloose"
- What to wear for Ren: Standard tuxedo fare, like black pants and a bow tie, but the maroon blazer is key. Bust a move everywhere you go.
- What to wear for Ariel: A flowy pink dress with puffy sleeves.
Alex Owens From "Flashdance"
- What to wear: A gray sweatshirt and colorful heels. Make your hair big, curly, and as frizzy as possible.
Gary and the Geeks From "Weird Science"
- What to wear: You’ll need a couple friends to wear gray tanks tops and ridiculous hair.
Neal and Del From "Planes, Trains & Automobiles"
- What to wear for Neal: Go with a gray business suit with a red tie, gray hair, and a black suitcase.
- What to wear for Del: An obnoxious mustache is the key, with a blue Windbreaker, brown pants, and red mittens.
Lloyd Dobler From "Say Anything"
- What to wear: A trench coat, sneakers, baggy pants, and a boom box (or a makeshift boom box).
Ferris, Sloane, and Cameron From "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
- What to wear for Ferris: A white shirt, a leopard vest, and a leather jacket over jeans.
- What to wear for Sloane: The key to Sloane is that white fringed leather jacket.
- What to wear for Cameron: A Detroit Red Wings jersey and khakis.
Principal Ed Rooney From "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
- What to wear: A dirty gray suit with a dark red tie and a mustache.
Bill and Ted From "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"
- What to wear for Bill: White Converse sneakers, crumpled pants, a purple patterned Windbreaker, and a blond curly wig.
- What to wear for Ted: Blue Converse sneakers, a “Save the Humans” sticker on your rolled-up pants, a white band t-shirt under a vest, and a red sweatshirt tied around your waist.
Samantha Baker From "Sixteen Candles"
- What to wear: Go with the light pink bridesmaid dress. It’s the most recognizable look from the movie, and it’s just so retro. Extra points for the floral crown.
Goose and Maverick From "Top Gun"
- What to wear for both: Navy uniforms, spotted with badges, aviators, and a mustache for Goose.
Baby and Johnny From "Dirty Dancing"
- What to wear for Baby: A white button-down shirt tied in the front and jean shorts rolled up with white Keds. Do not, under any circumstances, be put in a corner.
- What to wear for Johnny: Black tank top and black pants. And of course, killer dance moves.
Uncle Buck From "Uncle Buck"
- What to wear: A long gray scarf, a classic trench coat with a matching fedora, a cigar, and a screwdriver.
Economics Teacher From "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
- What to wear: A light brown suit with a blue shirt and giant glasses. Monotone encouraged.
Marty and Doc From "Back to the Future"
- What to wear for Marty: You need that signature red puffy vest and jeans.
- What to wear for Doc: Just sports a white jumpsuit and crazy white hair.
Barb From "Stranger Things"
- What to wear: A plaid shirt with as many ruffles as possible, high-waisted jeans, a thin watch, and glasses. Feel free to tote around a fake notebook or binder.
Sarah Anderson From "Adventures in Babysitting"
- What to wear: A thick red sweater, blue pants, red sneakers, under a red and blue jacket. Top it all off with a Thor helmet and hammer.
Cindy and Ronnie From "Can't Buy Me Love"
- What to wear for Cindy: The iconic white patterned suit with black shirt underneath.
- What to wear for Ronnie: Go for the lawnmower cowboy look with jeans, a black shirt, black pointed boots and top it off with a black cowboy hat.
The Heathers From "Heathers"
- What to wear: Choose one color for the outfit theme. Wear a shoulder padded blazer, matching skirt and tights, with loafers. Tie your hair back with a thick scrunchie.
Ruth, aka Zoya the Destroya, From "GLOW"
- What to wear: A metallic blue and red leotard with red arm-warmers. Tease your hair and wear dark lipstick and makeup.
Jeff Spicoli From "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"
- What to wear: Straight leg jeans, a plaid or floral shirt left unbuttoned and sneakers.
Princess Leia From "Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back"
- What to wear: A white jumpsuit, padding and faux blaster optional, with dark blue boots. Pull your hair back in a single braid.
Jareth, the Goblin King From "Labyrinth"
- What to wear: Tight gray pants, knee high boots, a heavily ruffled blouse, and black vest with optional crystal ball. Make sure to have a blond wig and paint your face accordingly to really sell the look.
Princess Vespa From "Spaceballs"
- What to wear: A white lace dress, artfully ripped up, with feathered dark hair, and boots.
Dwayne, David, Paul, Marko From "The Lost Boys"
- What to wear: Bring out your finest hipster-pirate gear! Brocade jackets, skinny jeans, tight skirts that are easily ripped, and all the hair gel you possess.
Loretta Castorini From "Moonstruck"
- What to wear: Big dark hair is a must. Pair it with a black cocktail dress, shawl, and heels.
Buttercup and Westley From "The Princess Bride"
- What to wear for Buttercup: A long red dress with a high collar and a gold belt. Go for a super long blond wig and boots top finish it off.
- What to wear for Westley: Wear a black, lace-up shirt and matching black pants with a sash belt. Add a mask and headscarf for the Dread Pirate Roberts feel.
Joanna Stayton From "Overboard"
- What to wear: Go for snobby Joanna or go home! Live it up with a white jumpsuit under a white and gold jacket with padded shoulders. Pair with dangling earrings and style your hair into an intricate braided high ponytail.
Mercedes Lane From "License to Drive"
- What to wear: A bright pink ruffled dress and teased-for-the-gods blond hair.
Luke Skywalker From "Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi"
- What to wear: All black everything, padawan. Keep it simple with a shirt, pants, and long suit jacket. Don’t forget the single black glove!
Sally Albright From "When Harry Met Sally . . ."
- What to wear: A bowler hat, shoulder padded blazer, patterned shirt, and high-waist dark pants.
Robin From "Stranger Things"
- What to wear: Unless you want to be a total dingus, you should definitely dress up as Robin from “Stranger Things.” Her Scoops Ahoy outfit is the most notable, so we advise wearing a blue-and-white striped shirt with a navy vest and white collar on top.
Daniel LaRusso From "The Karate Kid"
- What to wear: A blue graphic tank top with blank pants and the iconic white headband.
Elliot From "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"
- What to wear: A red zip-up jacket (make sure your hood is up!), a bike, and any kind of creature you want.
Zack and Kelly From "Saved by the Bell"
- What to wear for Kelly: Anything cropped, neon, or off-the-shoulder will do. You could also spring for a t-shirt with The Max’s logo or a Bayside High sweatshirt. Don’t forget to spray those bangs up!
- What to wear for Zack: A blond wig is a must, along with a collared shirt (don’t forget you’re preppy!), baggy jeans, and old-school high-tops. A giant fake cell phone will really complete the look.
Dustin From "Stranger Things"
- What to wear: Dustin’s yellow and green baseball hat is a pretty iconic staple, so make sure to find one that replicates it to the best of your ability. Once that’s done, pick up a curly brown wig, an old-school camp t-shirt or graphic tee, and jeans. Also consider getting something to make it look like you’re missing your front teeth.
Eleven From "Stranger Things"
- What to wear: There are a few ways you can dress up as Eleven (Government Prisoner Elle, Hamburger-Eating Elle, Eggo-Stealing Elle, etc.), but as long as you have your Eggos, everyone will know who you are.
Jake and Elwood From "The Blues Brothers"
- What to wear for both: Black suits, white collared shirts, black hats, and black sunglasses will turn you into this dynamic duo.
Beetlejuice From "Beetlejuice"
- What to wear: Pale face, green “mold,” and dark eyes go perfectly with a striped top.
Duckie Dale and Andie Walsh From "Pretty in Pink"
- What to wear for Duckie: A quirky tux with a black jewel necklace. Don’t forget the hat and sunnies!
- What to wear for Andie: A pink dress with polka gots, lace, and a high collar.
Jim Hopper From "Stranger Things"
- What to wear: If you’re all about the ’80s, it’s no lie that you’ve been very into Jim Hopper’s killer style during season three of “Stranger Things.” Find your best Hawaiian shirt and add a nice ‘stache, and you’re ready to roll.
Princess Leia From "Return of the Jedi"
- What to wear: A gold bikini with a flowy brown skirt and small brown booties. Pull your hair back in a chic braid.
The Ghostbusters From "Ghostbusters"
- What to wear: A light brown jumpsuit with black shoes and a black backpack. Add a Ghostbusters sticker to your jumpsuit if you can find one.