J.K. Rowling's wisdom goes far beyond the pages of Harry Potter. Over the years, the sharp, clever author has shared plenty of insightful quotes about success, love, and body image. In interviews and in speeches — including that unforgettable commencement speech-turned-book — Rowling has brought a bit of magic into the real world with her incredible, spot-on words. Take a look at some of her most inspiring quotes, then check out actors who were almost cast in Harry Potter.
- "Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all — in which case, you fail by default."
- "You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity."
- "Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life."
- "Is 'fat' really the worst thing a human being can be? Is 'fat' worse than 'vindictive', 'jealous', 'shallow', 'vain', 'boring' or 'cruel'? Not to me . . . I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny — a thousand things, before 'thin' . . . Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons."
- "Sadness is not a bad thing — to cry and to feel."
- "Happiness lies in knowing that life is not a checklist of acquisition or achievement. Your qualifications, your CV, are not your life."
- "Love is the most powerful thing of all. I remember thinking that when 9/11 happened, because the last phone calls from those who died were all about the last thing they were going to say on this earth. 'I love you.' What's more powerful than that?"
- "We do not need magic to change the world. We carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better."
- "The stories we love best do live in us forever. Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."