Most people already know that Amy Poehler is wickedly funny, but with her new book, Yes Please, more people will get to discover all the amazing other facets of the SNL alum and Parks and Recreation star: the feminist, introspective, inspiring, vulnerable, empowering ones. Yes Please, out on Nov. 1 in Australia, is a welcome mishmash of anecdotes, memories, essays and advice. Here's a selection of some of the most unforgettable quotes from Amy inside its pages.
On Growing Up and Ageing
- "Keep your virginity for as long as you can, until it starts to feel weird to you. Then just get it over with."
- "Once a woman turns 40 she has to start dealing with two things: younger men telling her they are proud of her and older men letting her know they would have sex with her."
- "Fighting aging is like the War on Drugs. It's expensive, does more harm than good, and has been proven to never end."
- "Stop whining about getting old. It's a privilege. A lot of people who are dead wish they were still alive."
- "I think we should stop asking people in their 20s what they 'want to do' and start asking them what they don't want to do. Instead of asking students to 'declare their major' we should ask students to 'list what they will do anything to avoid.' It just makes a lot more sense."
- "Nobody looks stupid when they are having fun."
- "You have to care about how good you are and how good you feel, but not about how good people think you are or how good people think you look."
- "That is the motto women should constantly repeat over and over again. 'Good for her! Not for me.'"
- "If it's not funny, you don't have to laugh."
On Career and Success
- "Some people hate the word, and I understand how 'bossy' can seem like a sh*tty way to describe a woman, but for me, a bossy woman is someone to search out and celebrate."
- "If you are lucky, there is a moment in your life when you have some say as to what your currency is going to be. I decided early on it was not going to be my looks."
- "Saying 'yes' doesn't mean I don't know how to say no and saying 'please' doesn't mean I am waiting for permission."
- "I believe great people do things before they are ready."
On Her Secrets to Living Well
- "Sleep helps you win at life."
- "Shame makes people abandon their children and drink themselves to death. It also keeps us from true happiness. An apology is a glorious release."
- "When you are pregnant you can get away with a lot of sh*t. Women really are at their most dangerous during this time. Your hormones are telling you that you are strong and sexy, everyone is scared of you, and you have a built-in sidekick who may come out at any minute."
- "If you can surf your life rather than plant your feet, you will be happier."
- "Please don't drive drunk, okay? Seriously. It's so f*cked up. But by all means, walk drunk. That looks hilarious."
On Being a Blonde
- "Believe me, blond hair can take you really far, especially with the older men. It can really distract from the face. I am convinced I could have had sex with both Tony Bennett and John McCain if we weren't each happily married at the time we all met."