You don't have to be a viewer of True Detective (though it certainly helps) to appreciate Cary Joji Fukunaga, the award-winning director who not only won an Emmy today, but also the hearts of plenty of female fans. As there's so much interest around this creative — and admiration for the braids he rocked during the Emmys — here are some fast facts you need to know about Cary.
- He's 37 (he was born in 1977).
- He's half-Swedish, half-Japanese.
- He directed all eight episodes of the first season of True Detective. He was also an executive producer.
- He directed the 2010 adaptation of Jane Eyre, which starred Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender.
- He's worked as a cinematographer as well.
- He currently lives in NYC.
- He is fluent in French and Spanish.