Parenting is not easy, but Tish Cyrus seems to have taken the task of raising five kids in stride (and with a tonne of patience). Not to mention, she works closely with her daughter, Brandi, on a professional basis as they take on the world of interior design. Tish sat down to dish on raising her wild bunch of kids, setting boundaries as a parent, and the crazy embarrassing things you might do to your children. She has a few pointers for mums out there, and no, they don't include being overly strict.
- Honesty is key, and sometimes being super overprotective discourages your kids from talking to you openly. While overprotectiveness comes from a place of love, it can also build a wall between you and your children.
- Sadly, you do need to realise your kids will become adults and it will feel weird! And yes, letting go of your baby is hard, but you need to realise there comes a time where they're ready to take on the world!
- Be open, but don't be that open. You can talk about everything, but love lives might be off the table, and that's OK.
- Although being brutally honest with your kids can be a struggle, it's the right thing to do and, as a result, you will always be someone who will tell it like it is because you care.
- Parents DO NOT have a favourite. It may feel like it at some times, but that is never the case. Hey, Tish admits she might have given off that vibe in the past, but it was never her intention.
- It is OK to creep on your kids from time to time. After all, Tish did secretly follow Miley to her first school dance.
- You will embarrass your kids, but take it in stride, and it's actually kind of fun.
- Friends and boyfriends come and go, but your mum will always be there for you.