From “Schmigadoon!” to “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” These 10 Musical TV Shows Will Bring Broadway to You
Movie musicals are everywhere, from Disney masterpieces like “Moana” to iconic comedies like “Hairspray” – but musical TV shows are a much rarer breed. Over the past couple of years, though, some fantastic musical television series have hit streamers, from “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” to “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.” That’s not to mention beloved TV events like “Smash,” which is now set to become a Broadway musical.
But perhaps no musical TV show encapsulates all the glories and absurdities of musical theater like “Schmigadoon!” The show, which finds its stars Cecily Strong and Keegan-Michael Key trapped inside a town where everyone appears to be stuck in a perpetual musical, parodies some of the greatest (and most clichéd) shows ever. Its second season, which premiered on April 5, finds its main duo stuck in a musical world more reminiscent of “Chicago” and “Cabaret” than “The Music Man,” and plenty of chaos, fishnets, and showstopping numbers ensue.
Whether you’re a seasoned musical theater fan or someone who just happened to catch the “Hamilton” bug, there are plenty of fantastic song-and-dance numbers that you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home. Check out the list ahead to discover some of the best musical television shows that you need to binge-watch right now.
Want some entertainment stories? Click through the articles below:
- What the Cast of “Gossip Girl” Have Been Up to Since the Show Ended
- 15 Essential “Grey’s Anatomy” Episodes For Meredith-and-Derek Fans
- 30 Women-Led Movies Streaming on Netflix Now
- All of Millie Bobby Brown’s TV and Movie Roles Over the Past Decade
- The ’90s It Girls You Wanted (and Still Kind of Want) to Be
- 11 Epic and Unforgettable Love Triangles in TV History
- Inside Flavor Flav and Taylor Swift’s Unexpected Yet Delightful Friendship