25 Horror Movie Final Girls to Inspire Your Halloween Costume
There’s pretty much nothing we love more than a gory, scary, over-the-top horror movie. So when it comes to Halloween, of course we reach for our favorite movies when it comes to figuring out the best Halloween costume. And there’s maybe no costume more perfect than that of an iconic horror movie final girl.
If you’re new to the horror genre, the “final girl” is just what the name says – the girl who is alive at the end of the movie. It’s a particularly common trope in slasher flicks, but horror movies of all kinds play with the idea. In the end, there’s one person who’s survived the carnage and pain, and it’s often a strong, smart woman who’s been transformed by the things she’s endured in the last 90 to 120 minutes.
So when it comes to Halloween night, there’s no better option than a final girl for a perfect Halloween costume. And since these characters tend to be just normal people, it’s pretty easy to DIY their outfits from stuff you already own (plus some fake blood). Ahead, these are our final girl Halloween costume ideas.
Laurie Strode From "Halloween"
- What to wear: High-waisted flared jeans, a light blue or denim button-down shirt with a big tear and bloody smear on one shoulder, and a brown feathered wig. Make sure you bring Laurie’s trademark accessory out on the town with you, too: a wire hanger.
Julie James From "I Know What You Did Last Summer"
- What to wear: Julie embraces ’90s style, so get a tight white crop top, black jeans, and a choker layered under a longer necklace. Straighten your hair, and give yourself a middle part.
Dani From "Midsommar"
- What to wear: Once you’ve taped your face into a screaming wail, throw on a boho, embroidered white dress (Dani’s has blue embroidery, short sleeves, and comes to her knees). Finishing touches can be white sneakers, a blonde wig, and a GIANT flower crown.
Nancy Thompson From "A Nightmare on Elm Street"
- What to wear: Put on a bushy brunette wig with two white streaks on one side, and rock some ’80s staples like pastel sweater vests and button-downs, plaid blazers, and acid-wash jeans. You could also go for Nancy’s white pajama outfit, which is basically a pair of white pants and a white smock with flowers on the front. Don’t forget a bloody bandage on your left arm, either!
Ellen Ripley From "Alien"
- What to wear: A curly brown wig with a white tank top and either a gray or olive-green mechanic suit or cargo pants. Add in some old-school white Reeboks, and carry around a cat stuffed animal.
Rocky From "Don't Breathe"
- What to wear: A pair of leggings layered under some jean shorts, a white tank top, and a dark zip-up hoodie and gloves. Wear a short blond wig and a red backpack stuffed with fake money to go the extra mile.
Erin Hardesty From "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"
- What to wear: A white, ribbed tank top knotted at the waist with some light-wash, low-slung jeans and a brown belt. Get yourself some shoulder-length brown hair and a pair of brown boots, and add a few bloody slashes or patches of dirt here and there.
Alice Hardy From "Friday the 13th"
- What to wear: A short blond bob with a frilly white button-up shirt (smear some blood on it and tear it up a little bit) and light-wash flare jeans.
Amanda Young From "Saw"
- What to wear: A brown wig, a purple off-the-shoulder top, a tight black skirt, and sheer black knee-high stockings. You can attempt to DIY the reverse bear-trap mask, or order a cheap one online.
Alice From "Resident Evil"
- What to wear: A pair of black shorts under a sliced-up red slip dress and tall black boots.
Clarice Starling From "The Silence of the Lambs"
- What to wear: A thin, gold necklace over a white t-shirt and a black blazer. Throw in a fake FBI badge with her name on it and a brownish-reddish wig.
Sarah Carter From "The Descent"
- What to wear: A black tank top and pants, absolutely drenched in blood. Like, dump a bucket of red paint on yourself, then jump into an Olympic-sized pool full of pizza sauce, and then have someone throw tomatoes at you. You might want to bring along a spelunker’s helmet so people know for sure who you are.
Sidney Prescott From "Scream"
- What to wear: Sidney is a ’90s fashion dream, so break out your coolest jean jacket, some Adidas Superstars or black motorcycle boots, a gray tank top, and a brown wig. Smear some fake blood on your cheek and forehead, and you’ll be good to go.
Marybeth From "Hatchet 2"
- What to wear: Brown or camouflage cargo pants, boots, a gray t-shirt, a leather jacket, and a whole lot of blood.
Kirsty Cotton From "Hellraiser"
- What to wear: A long, wavy brown wig and a baggy, plain white t-shirt covered in streaks of blood. Smear a bit on your face for good measure, and get your hands on a replica of the puzzle box from the film.
Barbara From "Night of the Living Dead"
- What to wear: A short red wig and a lacy white tank top under a denim jacket, with dark cargo pants and a rifle slung over your shoulder.
Grace From "Ready or Not"
- What to wear: A lace wedding dress and yellow Converse sneakers, with your hair braided back into an elegant up-do. Then smear everything with dirt and blood, and sling a bandolier across your chest.
Donna Keppel From "Prom Night"
- What to wear: All of the bloody action goes down while Donna’s at prom, so break out your silky, beaded, cream-colored best. Wear a dainty necklace and a blond wig.
Mia Allen From "Evil Dead"
- What to wear: A red floral dress under a gray sweatshirt that says Michigan State on it, or ditch the sweatshirt and wear a long-sleeved red dress (you’ll want to be covered in fake blood anyway). Rock black lace-up boots, and bring around a fake chainsaw, too.
Lila Crane From "Psycho"
- What to wear: A curly blond wig with a long brown coat and a vintage-looking brown dress belted at the waist.
Em From "Nope"
- What to wear: A jersey in a bright color with a coordinating bandana around your neck. Complete the look with baggy shorts.
Maxine From "X"
- What to wear: Shorts overalls with nothing underneath (or a skin-tone tank top if you’re less daring). Complete the look with messy curls and lots of blue eyeshadow.
Brynn From "No One Will Save You"
- What to wear: A vintage-style dress or a nightgown with a distinctly old-lady-ish vibe.
Tara From "Scream"
- What to wear: A pink sweater. Put your hair up in braids, and carry a phone to scream into whenever possible. Go the extra mile with some fake blood.