Harry Tomlinson On the Power She Found In Changing Her Name
Harry Tomlinson made a name for herself early on in this season of MasterChef Australia: Fans and Favourites when she became the first fan to win one an Immunity Pin with her delicious burnt cabbage dish.
It was later in the season, though, that we learned a little more about Tomlinson’s story, as she revealed that she actually changed her name to give herself a fresh start after being bullied throughout her younger years.
In an emotional scene, Tomlinson shared that she “was filled with self doubt, insecurities, [and] body image issues” which made her “completely retreat as a person”.
“I decided to do something really significant by changing my name from Caitlin to Harry,” Tomlinson said, and according to the MasterChef Australia contestant, the name change prompted a slew of positive changes.
“Once I became Harry, all of my self doubt disappeared and it’s given me a lot of strength and a lot of power to kind of back myself and understand that I’m worthy of doing things like applying for MasterChef,” she shared.
Speaking to POPSUGAR Australia after her elimination, Tomlinson opened up about what it was like to share such a personal story on one of Australia’s most popular shows.
“It was pretty crazy, I think when you do something like that in your life you don’t really think that you’re gonna be sharing it with the world, on such a public platform,” Tomlinson said, “but I feel really privileged to have had that platform to share my story.”
In fact, Tomlinson has had “lots of people come out of the woodworks” and share their own stories of changing their name.
“It’s got nothing to do with gender or sexuality, or anything like that, it’s literally just about autonomy in one’s self, and feeling as though you have your own ownership of yourself,” Tomlinson explained.
Calling it “a really special thing to be able to have your own name that you chose for yourself and your identity” Tomlinson said that she felt “really, really, really, really privileged that [she] was able to share that with everyone”.
MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites airs at 7.30pm on Channel 10 and 10 Play On Demand, Sunday – Thursdays.
Want more MasterChef Australia goss? Click through the stories below:
- Everyone Who Has Said Goodbye to the MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites Kitchen
- A Comprehensive Guide on Marco Pierre White and His Beef With MasterChef Australia
- The Exact Lipstick Shades MasterChef Judge Melissa Leong Uses to Achieve a Bold Look
- All the Fabulous Outfits of MasterChef’s Melissa Leong This Season
- “I Didn’t Tell Anyone” Why Minoli Kept Her Cancer Diagnosis a Secret on MasterChef Australia
- After Winning MasterChef Australia in 2018, Sashi Said Goodbye to the Kitchen He Once Conquered
- 3-Star Michelin Chef Clare Smyth Is Returning to the MasterChef Australia Kitchen
- Here’s How to Get Your Hands on Julie Goodwin’s Quirky Jewellery From MasterChef Australia
- Applications For MasterChef Australia 2023 Are Now Open — Here’s How to Apply
- Let’s Revisit John Carasig’s Infamous White Chocolate Veloute Incident on MasterChef Australia
- MasterChef Australia’s Harry Tomlinson Explains the Story Behind Her Name
- Max Krapivksy Applied For MasterChef Australia 3 Times Before He Finally Got In
- Everything There Is to Know About the Patisserie of Pain, Adriano Zumbo
- MasterChef’s Minoli Opens Up About Being Diagnosed With Breast Cancer For the Second Time
- We’ve Answered Your Most Pressing Question — What Time Is MasterChef Australia on Tonight?
- After Winning MasterChef Australia, Julie Goodwin Faced a Tough Few Years
- Daniel Lamble Is Ready to Cook Up a Storm on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Harry Tomlinson Is Going to Be Tough to Beat on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Michael Weldon Is Taking Care of Unfinished Business on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Christina Batista Is Bringing Her Portuguese Cooking to MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- John Carasig Is Ready For Another Relay Challenge on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Billie McKay Is Sharpening Her Knives For MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Mindy Woods Is Ready to Showcase Indigenous Food on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Alvin Quah Is Ready to Give It His All on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Aldo Ortado Is Back and Bringing the Heat to MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Here’s How Much the Contestants of MasterChef Australia Get Paid During Their Time on the Show
- Tommy Pham Is Returning to the Kitchen for MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites