“Watch This Space!” MasterChef Australia’s Alvin Quah Reveals He’s Working on a Spectacles Line
Australia was first introduced to the lovable, spectacle-wearing Alvin Quah in season two of MasterChef Australia. His flavourful cooking and eclectic style made him a household name over 10 years ago, and this year, he returned to the kitchen in the hopes to take home the crown.
Sadly, Quah was eliminated on Sunday night after an omelette went wrong, resulting in him just missing out on Top 5 by the skin of his teeth — for the second time.
“It’s history repeating itself because I’m Top 6 yet again! But there were a lot of things that were out of my control last night, I was essentially fighting with nature,” Quah told POPSUGAR Australia.
“The winds were so strong that I couldn’t get the temperature of the wok high enough, so it’s been quite an intense journey.”
Speaking about his time on Fans and Favourites, Quah was proud of himself for making it as far as he did, and rightfully so. The second time around, the cook was competing against former contestants who now own their own businesses, and not to mention, three past winners.
Combine that with a host of new cooks who brushed up their skills before entering the kitchen, making it into the Top 6 is definitely an achievement.
“The second time around was significantly more difficult just given the number of returning contestants and the hungry ‘Fans’. So, I’m glad I made it to Finals Week, I’m bloody proud of myself.”
In 2010, a fresh-faced Quah cooked for the OG judges of MasterChef Australia, Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan and George Calombaris, but a lot has changed over 12 years. When he re-entered the kitchen, waiting for him up front was Melissa Leong, Andy Allen and Jock Zonfrillo.
“I love the new judges — I respect Gary, George and Matt, I think they are great judges and chefs in their own right — but Melissa, Jock and Andy bring a fresh, new take to how we view food,” admitted Quah.
“Their ability to connect with the contestants on so many different levels brings a really nice environment to the show, and they’re all just beautiful human beings.”
Now that his time on the show is over, Quah is focusing on a number of projects, and yes, one of them is spectacles related.
“I’m going to start a cookbook almost ASAP because I think there’s so much I need to tell. There’s also a couple of eyewear projects, so watch this space!”
Want more MasterChef Australia goss? Click through the stories below:
- Everyone Who Has Said Goodbye to the MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites Kitchen
- A Comprehensive Guide on Marco Pierre White and His Beef With MasterChef Australia
- The Exact Lipstick Shades MasterChef Judge Melissa Leong Uses to Achieve a Bold Look
- All the Fabulous Outfits of MasterChef’s Melissa Leong This Season
- “I Didn’t Tell Anyone” Why Minoli Kept Her Cancer Diagnosis a Secret on MasterChef Australia
- After Winning MasterChef Australia in 2018, Sashi Said Goodbye to the Kitchen He Once Conquered
- 3-Star Michelin Chef Clare Smyth Is Returning to the MasterChef Australia Kitchen
- Here’s How to Get Your Hands on Julie Goodwin’s Quirky Jewellery From MasterChef Australia
- Applications For MasterChef Australia 2023 Are Now Open — Here’s How to Apply
- Let’s Revisit John Carasig’s Infamous White Chocolate Veloute Incident on MasterChef Australia
- MasterChef Australia’s Harry Tomlinson Explains the Story Behind Her Name
- Max Krapivksy Applied For MasterChef Australia 3 Times Before He Finally Got In
- Everything There Is to Know About the Patisserie of Pain, Adriano Zumbo
- MasterChef’s Minoli Opens Up About Being Diagnosed With Breast Cancer For the Second Time
- We’ve Answered Your Most Pressing Question — What Time Is MasterChef Australia on Tonight?
- After Winning MasterChef Australia, Julie Goodwin Faced a Tough Few Years
- Daniel Lamble Is Ready to Cook Up a Storm on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Harry Tomlinson Is Going to Be Tough to Beat on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Michael Weldon Is Taking Care of Unfinished Business on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Christina Batista Is Bringing Her Portuguese Cooking to MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- John Carasig Is Ready For Another Relay Challenge on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Billie McKay Is Sharpening Her Knives For MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Mindy Woods Is Ready to Showcase Indigenous Food on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Alvin Quah Is Ready to Give It His All on MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Aldo Ortado Is Back and Bringing the Heat to MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites
- Here’s How Much the Contestants of MasterChef Australia Get Paid During Their Time on the Show
- Tommy Pham Is Returning to the Kitchen for MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites