Meghan Markle Shares Rare Update on Her and Prince Harry's Upcoming Netflix Docuseries
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are reportedly putting their story on the small screen in a upcoming Netflix docuseries. Not much has been shared about the untitled Liz Garbus-directed project from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex or the streamer since they forged their partnership two years ago. However, Markle gave a rare update on it in her Variety cover story published on Oct. 19, just days after Deadline reported that Netflix delayed the documentary’s release until next year.
“We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.”
“It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story – a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired – even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it. But that’s not why we’re telling it,” Markle shared of the docuseries. “We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.”
Markle and Harry’s multiyear Netflix deal was announced in September 2020, which includes the production of documentaries, docuseries, feature films, scripted shows, and children’s programming. So far, the only other projects the couple has confirmed for the streamer are their other documentary centered on the Invictus Games and their since-canceled animated series titled “Pearl” (Netflix reportedly axed it due to a stock drop).
Harry and Markle’s untitled documentary was rumored to be a reality TV series, but the couple previously slammed that idea in a statement provided to People. “The Duke and Duchess are not taking part in any reality shows,” a spokesman said.
Following said rumors, Markle stressed the difference between a “historical documentary” and a “reality docuseries” in her August profile for The Cut, though she didn’t specify which one her and Harry’s Netflix project is. “The piece of my life I haven’t been able to share, that people haven’t been able to see, is our love story,” she told the outlet of what it’ll cover.
In her profile, Markle said that, at the time, she wasn’t aware of what had and hadn’t been confirmed about the docuseries, but she did take time to praise its director and share what likely inspired the project. “I will tell you Liz Garbus is incredible,” she said. “. . . When the media has shaped the story around you, it’s really nice to be able to tell your own story.”
Read ahead for everything else we know about Harry and Markle’s upcoming documentary so far.
When Will Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Netflix Docuseries Release?
According to Deadline, Harry and Markle’s documentary was unofficially slated to debut on Netflix in December. However, the outlet noted that the streamer was shaken up after “attacks” from former UK Prime Minister John Major were aimed at “The Crown” season five. Major, per CNN, reportedly referred to the Netflix drama’s depiction of his time in office as “damaging and malicious fiction.” “They’re rattled at Netflix, and they blinked first and decided to postpone the documentary,” a source told Deadline.
Despite the many reports about Markle and Harry’s docuseries, Netflix issued a statement to Deadline noting, “There’s never been any documentary from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed.”