Fendi's New Collection Is Like a Fine Spring Day in the Middle of Autumn
If Fendi Creative Directors Karl Lagerfeld and Silvia Venturini Fendi straddled the line between playful and posh before, for Fall '16 they committed to fun. After all, two furry six-foot tall monsters sat in the front row and posed with showgoers. But that's not to say the clothes weren't designed with the street style star in mind and, most importantly, grounded in luxury.
Details such as the way the hemline of a mini-dress or jacquard cape just met the top ruffle on a thigh-high boot, offering but a glimpse of skin, was a signature Lagerfeld move — an attention to perfection. Grandma-chic fur coats and stoles were so fleshed out with swirls of colour and florals, it was as if the models themselves were channelling the coveted furry keychains worn by all the It girls.
Ruffles exploded down the runway too, on Kendall Jenner's turquoise shoes as she debuted the first look, then onto the collars and sleeves of blouses, some in sherbet hues or stripes.
But the new Fendi bags will capture you. From a colour-block python-print satchel to the mini peekaboo embroidered with bouquets, the standard shapes are all here. But the reinvented styles, with their squiggly lines and strips of velvet, are something straight out of Dr. Seuss. Oversize fur shoppers were a finishing touch and a confirmation that the fashion house's accessories will always be must haves.
- Trends: Ruffles, a modern update on the '70s, victorian-inspired silhouettes.
- Colours: Light sherbet shades were met with a darker side — a deep plum, a tawny brown, hunter green, indigo, and splashy mustard.
- It Models Who Walked: Taylor Hill, Stella Maxwell, Kendall Jenner, Edie Campbell, Iman Hammam.
- Key Look: An apron dress in jacquard covered in florals — playful, yet inimitable.
- Details You Might've Missed: The cat-eye sunglasses with stripes at the corners, which played up the '70s vibes and looked just right with the revamped wide-leg jean, an elevated culotte.
- What We Want Right Now: The sheer, floral-embroidered high-neck blouses, complete with varsity stripes at the sleeves for a sporty touch.