2013 Spring New York Fashion Week: BCBGMAXAZRIA
If we told you leather, lace, and harnesses dominated BCBG’s Spring 2013 collection, you might think designers Max and Lubov Azria were up to some sexy provocation, but when delivered via fluid silhouettes and with plenty of soft silk, the result was a dreamy mix of ethereal and utilitarian. Dresses dominated, most of them in silk crepe cut with cream or black lace, and all worn with a leather harness. Sounds weird, but it worked, and there are sure to be some street stylers sporting the trend next season. Show notes said the collection was inspired by the femme fatale muses and high contrast of Helmut Newton's black and white photography, a message that was felt in the sculptural cuts of a black crepe dress with strong shoulders. There was a quieter second story involving denim, which was used as a detail rather than the main fabric, but this didn't feel as compelling as the combination of leather and lace on a flowy dress.
- Trends: Leather harnesses, lace, sculptural proportions, jumpsuits.
- Colours: Black, coral, talc, dusty pink.
- Key Piece: The opening set of talc crepe shirt dresses with harnesses made a big statement.
- Accessories: Leather portfolios and perforated leather ankle-strap shoes.
- Who Should Wear It: You have to be brave to don the harness, and could definitely pull this off, but let's look for Selita Ebanks to don one of the dresses as she was sitting in the front row.