2013 Spring New York Fashion Week: Chris Benz
If the schoolgirl got a makeover from her artsy friend, we're betting she'd look a lot like the models in Chris Benz's Spring lineup — outfitted with sweet prints, quirky layers, and a bright Cambridge satchel in hand. This season, the designer takes on bold colour and print with his always-present styling whimsy: it's pretty, but not without a little of the subversive edge that sets Benz apart. Preppy staples, right down to the accessories, like "book bags" and flat-form brogues, are turned on their heads: suiting is finished in brilliant marigold-yellows and pops of print on print (on print). But it's not just the colour scheme or the perky prints; the styling here may be the most eye-catching in Benz's bag of tricks, with girlie skirts, tops, and dresses layering up to create a girlie-gone-grunge effect. You have to make a conscious effort to deconstruct each ensemble, realising that each piece, be it a floral jacket, CB's new denim, or a printed pencil skirt, would be as much of a standout in its own right.
- Trends: Quirky layers, bold prints, loose trousers.
- Colours: White, brown, black, yellow, bright orange, pops of blue and mint green, lavender, and grey.
- Key Piece: The sunny yellow suiting; we especially loved the new colour-blocked Cambridge satchels.
- Accessories: Colored and printed t-strap heels, menswear-inspired flatforms; Chris Benz x Cambridge Satchel Company bags.
- Who Should Wear It: Kate Bosworth would look gorgeous in the white lace top paired with the full white skirt; we'd love to see Solange Knowles rock those printed shorts and blazers.