2012 MBFWA: Manning Cartell
Frida Kahlo was the muse in mind for Manning Cartell's Spring/Summer vision, but it was a very modern view of the Mexican artist who strutted down the runway this evening. Neon pink popped against he darkened sandstone interior of the Darlinghurst church setting. The high tech theme continued sculptural white crop tops and outerwear, side-striped sporty trousers, shrunken bomber jackets in sheer petals prints, and figure-hugging floral frocks — which were made sexy thanks to some killer cut-outs. Modern it may have been, but it was far from clinical thanks to the gauzy honeycomb textures, chiffon flower applique, metallic thread detailing and patchwork knit pullovers. Tribal meets tech, cool meets ladylike, this was stylish amalgamation of the best kind.
- Colour: Neon pink, white, emerald green, magenta, navy blue and grey.
- Trends: Texture, sports-styles, cut-outs, peplums, oversized shapes, pencil skirts, crop tops and photographic floral prints.
- Key Looks: Neon-edged cut-out dresses, side-striped trousers, fuzzy-cool bubble skirts and sequinned tees.
- Accessories: Spliced two tone heels in black and neon pink or emerald.
- Front Row: Washington, Rachael Finch, Alyssa Sutherland and Candice Lake.