2012 MBFWA: Romance Was Born
The Romance Was Born design duo love pushing creative boundaries come fashion week, and their 2012 MBFWA presentation lacked none of the theatrics that they're known (and loved) for. The inspiration came from comic book heroes, resulting in a super-saturated collection filled with punchy graphics done with plenty of kitsch and a lick of humour. Skirts were architectural, peplums were origami-like in construction and shoulders exagerated. It was bright, it was bold, it was fun! The play with prints was especially skilled, resulting in optical-illusion shifts in monochrome and a particularly zingy yellow and black pantsuit. Wearable, it was not — but RWB doesn't design for the everyday. Up, up and away!
- Colours: Bold, primary hues, gold foil and monochrome mixes.
- Trends: Graphic prints, super hero motifs, sculptured silhouettes, print-clashing.
- Key Looks: A gold foiled print dress, scultpured peplum and shoulder shapes, optical illusion monochrome print clashing and spikey embellishments.
- Accessories: Forearm armour in punchy prints, solid platform stilettos in bold colours and flame red wigs.
- Front Row: The sass & bide girls, Susie Bubble, Kate Waterhouse, Jenny Kee.