Rebecca Minkoff Spring 2013
This Spring, Rebecca Minkoff's cool girl is wearing a crop of sun-faded stripes and tropical florals — all while dancing to DJ Cassidy and Tennis' retro mash-up of Jay-Z. We rely on the designer to turn out a crop of wearable separates and feminine dressing, albeit with a dose of her slick tailoring — and that's exactly what we got, this time with a vintage slant. Finding inspiration in the work of iconic American photographer Slim Aarons, Minkoff's cool palette and peppy prints are rife with the '60s and '70s references Aarons captured in his snaps of jet-setting celebrities sitting poolside. Still, Minkoff's take on the era isn't quite so literal; she may draw from tropical wallpapers and sun-bleached florals, but the looks that emerge showcase Minkoff's skill in crafting girlie, upbeat pieces with modern, tomboy temperament — skinny, pattern-washed pants, Summer tweeds, moto jackets, and cage heels. Just the way Minkoff's girl likes her retro melody with a little Jay-Z, she wears her flower prints with sporty accents and killer heels.
- Trends: Athletic-inspired details, print on print, all white, ombré, florals, overalls, and flares.
- Colours: White, cobalt blue, bright red, grey, and a pop of green.
- Key Piece: Minkoff is making moto vests finished in sunset, ombré hues, a new must-have. She's also making flares the silhouette to snag for Spring.
- Accessories: Minkoff's signature bags finished in white and woven detailing; a crop of slick clutches, strappy cage heels.
- Who Should Wear It: The stylish optimist who likes a little sweetness with her edgy silhouettes, like front-row fans Lauren Conrad and Jamie Chung.