2012 Fall New York Fashion Week: Anna Sui
Let's face it: Anna Sui knows how to have fun. So much fun, in fact, that we were even treated to models like Lily Donaldson, Joan Smalls, and Lindsey Wixson smiling on the runway! For Fall '12, Anna drew inspiration from a 1960s Jean Shrimpton silhouette but, in Sui style, took care to put her own signature whimsical spin on it, as seen in the psychedelic patterns and colour palette. While the super-textured shag coats, Woodstock-worthy caftans, and babydoll dresses certainly set the retro tone, it was the designer's attention to the owl motif that left a lasting impression. The knitted owl hats, owl-shaped sunglasses, and owl-embellished fingerless gloves were just a few of the not-so-subtle themed items found within this playful lineup. Also worth noting? Anna Sui collaborated with Coach to design this season's line of bags — newly debuted on the runway — and yes, they had owls on them, too. It was a total Anna production: youthful and fun from start to finish.
- Trends: Owls, oversized Peter Pan collars, super-textured shag coats, '60s-style babydoll dresses, and bright tights.
- Colours: Rich Autumnal colours — rust, orange, ecru — matched up with neon blue, fuchsia, and pink.
- Key Piece: The cosy shag coats over sweet babydoll dresses.
- Accessories: Newly debuted line of Anna Sui for Coach bags, knit owl hats, owl-shaped sunglasses, knit fingerless owl-embellished gloves, and neon tights.
- Who Would Wear It: Fashionistas with a taste for kitsch and color, like Hailee Steinfeld and Chloe Moretz.