Prabal Gurung provided a sexy, fantasy-driven Spring 2012 collection at New York Fashion Week. With Nicki Minaj and Amanda Seyfried, as well as a bevy of top editors, observing from the front row, models walked the runway in artfully tailored clothes that consistently walked the line between soft and sexy. Cutout dresses, many with amazing leather harnesses designed by Zana Bayne, were softened by tulle or feathers. There was a sculptural sense to the skin-tight dress shapes, as with cutout pants. Gurung's flair for fantasy came not just via the unlikely mix of tulle, leather, feathers, and purple lamé, but also via the pixelated floral prints — side note, these graphic botanical motifs are popping up everwhere — which made the models seem like they had come from another planet, albeit a beautiful one.
- Trends: Pixelated prints, cutouts, peplum, futuristic, body-conscious shapes.
- Colours: Violet, turquoise, black, white, lamé.
- Key Piece: Karlie Kloss in a black cut-out gown, the pixelated floral dropwaist dress.
- Accessories:The incredible leather harnesses and belts designed by Zana Bayne.
- Who Would Wear It: Fashion risk-takers like Sarah Jessica Parker, who has been rocking Prabal Gurung lately.
Check out the runway collection . . .