I love a big breakfast, and this breakfast burrito is my all-time favourite! With jazzed-up black beans, scrambled eggs, and Cotija cheese melting together in a warm tortilla, this all-in-one meal gets the whole family racing out of bed in the morning!
Keep reading for the tasty recipe!
This is my all-time favourite recipe for a family breakfast. The fibre in the beans keeps us all full, and the combination is out of this world. For a gluten-free burrito, use corn tortillas.
- 1 (425g) can black beans, drained
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup salsa
1⁄2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or substitute with cheddar
- Place beans and lime juice in a small bowl; mash with the back of a spoon until almost smooth.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add eggs to pan. Cook, without stirring, until mixture sets on bottom. Draw a spatula across bottom of pan to form curds. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until egg is thickened but still moist. Remove from pan immediately.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 tortilla to pan. Heat 20 seconds on each side or just until soft. Remove from pan, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons bean mixture, 2 1⁄2 tablespoons egg, 2 tablespoons salsa, and 1 tablespoon cheese down centre of each tortilla. Roll up. Re-coat skillet with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining burritos, and cook over medium heat 4 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally.
Amanda Haas is a cookbook author, cooking video host, and the founder of One Family One Meal, a website that helps families menu plan, grocery shop, and cook on a budget. Her cookbook, Real Family Food, features this and other delicious family-friendly recipes, as well as simple tips for bringing your family together around the table and a strategy for meal planning, budgeting, and shopping.