For a quick dinner option, look to these Italian-style stuffed peppers for inspiration. With just a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes, you can create a fresh, clean meal with more than 30 grams of protein! You'll be glad to know this satisfying gluten-free and Paleo dinner is under 300 calories per serving, making it a perfect light supper after an evening workout.
- 2 bell capsicums, halved and cleaned
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 large onion, diced
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
4 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
1/2 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
450 grams ground turkey
6 basil leaves, finely chopped
Extra basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Place the capsicum halves in a roasting dish face down for 10 to 15 minutes. (You can skip this step if you want to keep the peppers more firm or raw.)
- While the capsicums are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions in coconut oil, adding sea salt and black pepper to taste, until they're translucent and slightly browned on the edges. Add the tomatoes and garlic, and simmer for about two minutes.
- Add the meat, and cook until fully done. Taste the mixture, and adjust seasoning to your liking. Mix in the chopped basil.
- Remove the capsicums from the oven — they should be just a bit softened — and flip them over. Spoon the stuffing mixture into each one. You can go ahead and eat them at this point, or put them back in the oven for five to 10 minutes to allow the flavours of the capsicum and the meat mixture to blend together more.
- Main Dishes
- Serves 4
- Total Time
- 24 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving