I know what you're thinking. You could easily make a bowl of oats in the microwave or with boiling water, but there's something special and amazing about baking your oats in the oven — you've got to try this recipe to fully understand the depth of flavour and texture.
Sweetened only with banana, applesauce, and blueberries, this gluten-free breakfast follows the perfect formula for weight loss. At 350 calories, it offers almost 16 grams of protein and 9.3 grams of hunger-satiating fibre. Each serving tastes perfectly sweet, even though your bowl only has 14.2 grams of sugar per serving.
The juicy blueberries complement the soft and creamy oatmeal and the crunchy almonds, and it's such an amazing flavour combination! This is a delicious make-ahead breakfast you can serve or bring to a brunch, or bake it on Sunday to have a healthy breakfast for the week.
Feel free to use raspberries in place of blueberries or walnuts instead of almonds.
- 2 bananas
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 serving protein powder (about 41 grams; such as Vega Sport Performance Protein)
2 tablespoons flaxmeal
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup blueberries
1/3 cup raw almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 390°C.
- In a large bowl, mash one of the bananas. Dice the second banana and add that to the bowl. Stir in the applesauce, coconut oil, almond extract, and soy milk. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, protein powder, flaxmeal, chia seeds, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Add this to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Top with blueberries and chopped almonds.
- Bake for 20 minutes; it should remain soft.
- 6 servings
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving