Remember that quick and easy pizza sauce I posted over the weekend? Well, here's your chance to put it to good use! During my 28 Day Transformation program back in August, I realised that so many participants were using their weekly treat meal to have pizza. I joked about it in a couple of follow-up emails and ultimately decided that I needed to add a healthy pizza recipe to the plan, so participants could have pizza without taking up their treat for the week. So here's the recipe I came up with. It's on plan and perfect for lunch or dinner when paired with a serving of protein.
At just under 120 calories each, these mini pizzas are a nutrient-packed veggie dish that you can feel good about adding to any meal. To make a meal out of these, I would have two paired with a salad or have one with a serving of protein.
The raw pizzas look much prettier, but trust me, the cooked version is delicious. I topped each with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan and a drizzle of balsamic and devoured them. Well, not all four . . . I shared some with friends. :)
These babies are easy! Simply whip up a batch of pizza sauce (here's a super-easy blender pizza sauce recipe, but you can also use store-bought), prep your veggies, add your toppings, and bake.
For this version, I used the biggest portobello caps I could find. I cut the stems out and scraped out the gills to make more room for toppings. I did end up saving the stems that weren't too woody to use for the topping.
Toppings = rocket, onion, cherry tomatoes, mushroom pieces, and goat cheese! If you’re not a huge goat cheese person, you can use mozzarella or any other type of cheese you’d like.
- 4 large whole portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean
- 2 cups baby rocket leaves
- 1 cup no-cook pizza sauce (or healthy store-bought pizza sauce)
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles (or mozzarella cheese)
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup portobello stems, sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Freshly grated parmesan, for topping
- Fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 405°C.
- Cut the stem off each portobello mushroom cap, and remove the gills using a spoon. Save the stems that aren't woody, and discard the gills.
- Lay the caps stem side up on a baking sheet.
- Fill the centre of each mushroom with a quarter of the rocket, 1/4 cup of the pizza sauce, and 1 tablespoon of goat cheese. Then place 1 tablespoon onion, 1 tablespoon portobello stems, a quarter of the sliced cherry tomatoes, and couple fresh basil leaves on top of each.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle on a little freshly grated parmesan cheese, and top with fresh basil. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar, if desired. Serve.
- Main Dishes
- Serves 4
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Calories per serving