Enjoy the aroma of apple pie baking in your oven without the floury mess or the hundreds of buttery calories by whipping up a batch of homemade apple cinnamon fruit leather.
This might be one of the easiest snacks you'll ever make, and aside from saving calories, you'll also save money too.
You only need a jar of unsweetened apple sauce, ground cinnamon, a Silpat silicone baking mat, and an oven. Keep reading for this sweet and chewy 18-calorie recipe.
- 700 mls jar of unsweetened organic apple sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Turn the oven on the warm setting, about 65 degrees C.
- Place a Silpat silicone mat on a cookie sheet.
- Measure out 3/4 cup of apple sauce and mix with the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour the rest of the applesauce on the Silpat, and use a spatula to spread it out into a thin, even layer.
- Using a small spoon, draw diagonal lines with the cinnamon applesauce. When you're finished, gently hold the pan with both hands and tap it on the counter to encourage the apple sauce to settle.
- Place the tray in the oven, and cook on low for six hours or until the applesauce has dried considerably and lost its shine — don't cook too long or you'll have apple chips.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Use a knife or kitchen scissors to cut into 16 strips. Store uneaten fruit straps (if there are any!) in an airtight container.
- Kids, Snacks
- 16 pieces
- Total Time
- 5 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving