Vegans rejoice! This recipe for an ice cream sandwich will knock the socks off the traditional treat. It's fudgy, soft, perfectly sweet, and no one will guess that it's vegan!
Made with a vegan brownie recipe that includes zucchini and filled with vegan ice cream made with bananas, this dessert won't have you missing eggs or dairy one bit, and you'll appreciate that it's lower in saturated fat and contains no cholesterol.
Keep reading to learn how to make this decadent 280-calorie frozen dessert.
- Chocolate sandwiches:
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 small zucchini
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Ice cream filling:
2 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (I used creamy)
- Preheat oven to 180°F. Spray 8 x11 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt).
- Place the zucchini in a food processor, and puree it as much as you can. Add in the oil and vanilla extract and puree until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry and mix until a thick batter forms.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before covering with aluminum foil and placing in the fridge for at least an hour to firm up.
- Peel the two ripe bananas. Place in a bowl with the peanut butter and mash together until very smooth. Place in the fridge until the chocolate sandwiches are ready.
- Remove the pan with the chocolate sandwiches from the fridge. Cut it so there are 10 pieces.
- Spread out the foil you used to cover the pan onto your counter. Place five pieces on it. Divide the banana peanut butter mixture evenly among the five pieces. Top with the last five chocolate rectangles, wrap with the foil, and freeze for at least two hours.
- Remove from the freezer and enjoy!
- Desserts, Frozen
- 5 sandwiches
- Total Time
- 3 hours, 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving