Whenever I have a glass of red wine, I enjoy it even more because I know that I am reaping health benefits with each sip. As with everything, moderation is key, and drinking more than one glass a day can tip the balance and be detrimental to your health. Here are five reasons to stop after having just one glass of wine.
- One glass of wine a day can reduce you risk of having a heart attack by lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) levels, but two glasses of wine a day increases your chance of developing breast cancer.
- One glass of wine a day can increase bone strength, but two or more glasses daily can weaken bones. This decrease in bone density can put you at risk for developing osteoporosis.
- One glass of red wine a day may help you stay thin by blocking fat cell formation, but two or more glasses a day may raise the fats found in your blood.
- Drinking wine in moderation may help improve your ability to create and maintain memories, but two or more glasses, especially when coupled with tobacco use, can hasten the onset of Alzheimer's.
- Drinking one glass of wine a day can lower your chances of having a stroke, but drinking more can raise your chances of having one.
If you use the health benefits of wine to justify or rationalise having a glass, stick to one glass. Moderation is key when it comes to drinking alcohol. A little bit does the trick, but a little more than that can be risky.