Creamy, starchy, and oh-so-cheesy potato bake is the ultimate Summer BBQ side and while polishing off a casserole dish of this classic side is never a good idea — I know from personal experience — it is possible to lighten things up without losing the textures and flavours that make the original so decadent. Each heaping portion of this just-as-delicious recipe weighs in at just over 200 calories, but the best part is, no one will taste the difference.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
1.5kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup low-fat milk (one percent), at room temperature
1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC. Lightly butter a three-quart baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the potatoes and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, melt two tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Cook, stirring, until the paste puffs slightly, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in both milks and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the nutmeg. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and gently toss to coat.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the gruyere. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes. Switch the oven to the grill setting and grill the potatoes until browned on top, about 5 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Source: Calorie Count
- Side Dishes
- 8 servings
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving