Roasted sweet potatoes swirling with tender black beans and corn, succulent red capsicum, and juicy tomatoes wrapped in a warm whole-wheat tortilla make this one delicious and gratifying meal. It's also under 500 calories, offers almost 15 grams each of fibre and protein, and the best part? It makes four servings, so you can consider the next few lunches or dinners made (or freeze the leftovers for an easy dinner on a busy night). A good choice for your ticker, it's completely vegan, so if lowering your cholesterol or blood pressure is also on your mind, this burrito has got you covered. With immune-boosting properties (to kick any cold to the curb) thanks to the cayenne pepper it's the perfect meal for this time of year. Check out the easy instructions below, and a hot and healthy, filling dinner will be waiting for you in just 40 minutes.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 3 cups or 2 sweet potatoes), diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 500g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your preference)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-wheat tortilla wraps
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. In a pan, toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
- While that's roasting, add the tomatoes, black beans, corn, capsicum, cayenne, and rest of the cumin to a large pot, and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Place a wrap on a plate, and microwave for 15 seconds so it becomes more soft and warm. Spoon out 1/4 of the tomato-bean mixture into the centre of the tortilla. Add 1/4 of the roasted sweet potatoes. Fold in the sides of the wrap, then the bottom, then the top. Turn it over, place on a plate with some salsa, and enjoy! Or if you prefer a crunchier tortilla, pop the burrito in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate or freeze any leftover filling.
- Beans, Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Total Time
- 39 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving