"Why'd you make this whole pan of stuffed shells just for me?" I smiled as my husband enjoyed another cheesy bite, totally fooled. You see, I gave up dairy over the last few months, and since I do most of the cooking, he's also been living without anything ooey, gooey, and cheesy. The look of shock on his face when I said, "they're vegan," was absolutely priceless. "They taste real," he said. Mission accomplished!
I have tofu to thank. Since it takes on the flavour of anything it's mixed with and throwing it in the food processor gives it that creamy ricotta texture, the dish tastes remarkably like the dairy-filled stuffed shells you know and love. But get this — these babies are just 60 calories a piece. Order this meal at an Italian restaurant, and you're looking at almost 200 calories per shell! That's outrageous. The next time you're craving some cheesy pasta comfort food, whip up a batch of these.
This recipe can easily be made gluten-free using rice pasta shells.
- 20 jumbo pasta shells (cook extra in case a few break)
400 grams extra firm tofu (1 container, pressed to remove water)
2 cups raw spinach
2 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 jar (650-700 grams) marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly oil a glass baking dish.
- Cook shells according to package until slightly underdone. Drain and rinse with cool water to prevent sticking.
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, spinach, garlic cloves, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Pour a little sauce in the dish to just cover the bottom (this will keep the pasta shells moist and help prevent them from toppling over). Use a spoon to fill each shell with the tofu spinach ricotta mixture, and lay each shell in the dish. Pour leftover marinara evenly over the shells.
- Cover the dish with a piece of tinfoil, poke several air holes, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Enjoy with a salad, and store any leftovers in the fridge — they're equally delicious the next day.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes, Pasta
- 20 shells
- Total Time
- 39 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving