For a spicy, hearty, and comforting meal, nothing hits the spot like a hot bowl of tortilla soup. Don't be tempted to grab a canned version at the corner store: cook a healthier homemade version (with incomparable flavour) in less than 20 minutes. This fresh and spicy tortilla-less soup is full of fresh produce and weighs in at less than 200 calories per satisfying serving. High in vitamin C and protein, anyone who loves Mexican-inspired flavours will find a new favourite healthy dinner in this oh-so-easy recipe.
If you're not fond of spicy foods, be sure to remove the seeds from the jalapeños before you dice them.
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 fresh jalapeño peppers, diced (and seeded, if you wish)
2 quarts chicken stock
1 28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 pound of chicken breast, cooked and diced
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of two limes
Avocado slices, lime pinwheels, or minced fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat ghee in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions until they are translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeños. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to a medium boil, cooking for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, cilantro, and lime juice, and stir. Serve the soup topped with whatever garnish you prefer, and enjoy!
- Serves 6
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving