If you have 10 minutes, pasta is a quick and filling go-to meal, especially in the colder months. But if you're watching your carb intake or are following a gluten-free or Paleo diet, then even though it's healthy, whole wheat pasta is off-limits.
Here's an equally satisfying, soft, and tender alternative that's as easy to whip up as that bowl of spaghetti.
It's made with carrot ribbons using a simple vegetable peeler, then sautéed with mushrooms, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil for a bowl that's sure to satisfy your pasta cravings.
The carrots add a sweet twist to this traditional dish, but the marinara and cooked veggies make it taste like you always remember — and your taste buds won't miss a thing.
Keep reading for this under 500-calorie gluten-free fettucine recipe.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
3/4 cup marinara sauce
3 large carrots, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, for garnish
- Pour oil in a large pan, and heat on medium low.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, red pepper, and two tablespoons of the fresh basil. Sauté for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook for another eight minutes.
- While that's cooking, use a vegetable peeler to cut the carrots into ribbons.
- Add the marinara and carrots to the pan. Cook for another eight to ten minutes or until the carrots are cooked to the firmness you prefer.
- Pour into a bowl, sprinkle with the last half-tablespoon of fresh basil, and enjoy!
- Main Dishes, Pasta
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving