As busy days turns into busy weeks, and you suddenly realise the year is half gone... it's time to take a breath. This is a 15-second reminder to treat yourself: take one moment today to indulge in a sweet moment of happiness. The Body Shop's new Body Yogurt moisturisers are absorbed in 15 seconds — everybody’s got time for that.
I try to live by the 80/20 rule — 80 per cent of the time I stick to a strict, clean diet and schedule my workouts, and 20 per cent of the time I let my body rest and indulge in a sweet treat or two. Hardly ground-breaking. But that 20 per cent always used to trip me up. One scoop of ice cream could quickly turn into half a tub, so I needed to find a healthier way to indulge the sweet tooth. On top of that, I'm terrible in the kitchen, so if I was going to be baking instead of buying, it had to be foolproof.
After lots of trial, error, and a few oven-related disasters, this raw slice has become my go-to sweet treat. It's a recipe that my healthiest girlfriend, Emma, kindly shared with me one day while I was groaning to her about craving a brownie. It's a chocolate-y, coconut-y dream that tastes just like a Bounty chocolate bar, but with a much cleaner ingredient list — I was surprised when she told me the main ingredient was cashews. Who knew nuts could satisfy your dessert cravings so well?
1 ½ cups shredded coconut
1 cup fresh pitted dates
1 cup almond meal
2 tablespoons light agave syrup
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup raw cashews, preferably soaked for 2 hours
3 cups shredded coconut
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup light agave syrup
½ cup raw cacao powder
½ cup coconut oil
¼ cup light agave syrup
- Lightly grease and like a square pan or dish with baking paper.
- In a food processor combine all base ingredients and process until mixture forms a sticky, crumbly dough.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly into the dish, chilling until required.
- Combine all filling ingredients in the food processor. Pulse until mixture sticks together.
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the base, pressing firmly into the dish so both layers stick together.
- In a bowl, combine topping ingredients, whisking together until smooth.
- Pour over slice, spreading gently for even coverage.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Remove from fridge and cut into slices to enjoy, guilt-free!