For a healthy, protein-rich meal that doesn't rely on dairy for flavour, try this delicious Mexican-style chicken recipe full of fresh ingredients. This preparation results in an absolutely delicious, fall-off-the-bone piece of meat. Make sure to leave 15 minutes for the first two steps, then pour everything into your slow cooker, and let it do its magic. Serve this recipe over a bed of purple cabbage, black beans, or brown rice for a balanced meal under 500 calories.
Keep reading to learn how to make this healthy [break]slow-cooker recipe.[/break]
Either cook for three hours on your slow cooker's high setting or six hours on low.
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped cilantro leaves and some stems, plus finely chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, plus grated lemon zest, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1.3 kg skinless bone-in chicken thighs, about 12 thighs
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- Finely chopped green onion, for garnish
- Salsa, optional
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the pumpkin and cumin seeds, until the pumpkin seeds are popping and the cumin has released its flavour. Transfer to a mortar or spice grinder and grind. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, until three minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, peppercorns, oregano, salt, cinnamon, and cilantro. Cook, stirring, for one minute. Transfer contents of the pan to a food processor. Add the lemon zest and juice, chicken stock, and reserved pumpkin and cumin seeds. Process until smooth.
- Arrange the chicken evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker stoneware. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for six hours or on high for three hours, until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork. Stir in the jalapeño pepper to taste. When ready to serve, garnish with the cilantro, green onion, lemon zest, and salsa, if you wish.
- Main Dishes
- Serves four.
- Calories per serving