The Food Pyramid Has Had a Makeover
Nutrition Australia has released their latest Healthy Eating Pyramid. Designed to encourage Australians to adopt a varied and balanced diet through their new targeted health messages, we're loving its fresh new look. The main message is for Australians to "enjoy a variety of food and be active every day" and while this isn't anything new, the updated Pyramid now clearly defines how much each food group should contribute to an average daily diet.
What Has Changed?
- The bottom layer has been separated into three main food groups vegetables and legumes, fruit, and grains.
- The middle layer is now split into two: cheese yoghurt and alternatives and lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds and legumes.
- The top layer now features only healthy fats, which has been a welcome change for health professionals.
- 'Enjoy herbs and spices' has been added to the pyramid as a way to encourage Australian's to experiment more with flavours and look to healthy seasonings as opposed to adding extra salt, which is never a good idea. Getting creative with spices is a great way to boost your metabolism and help your body burn more fat.
- The 'limit added sugar' message has been stepped up in a bid to motivate people to limit the amount they consume.
- Apart from boosting skin circulation and flushing out toxins, drinking water each day is one of the best (and simplest) things you can do for your health — and for this reason the pyramid encourages Australians to choose water, always.