The Kardashians' Trainer Shared a 45-Minute Workout That Will Humble You
Functional fitness franchise F45 Training has been hooking exercisers on their team-based, high-intensity format since 2013. As a special treat, they’re bringing in celebrity trainer and F45 Chief of Athletics Gunnar Peterson, CSCS – who works with the Kardashians, Rebel Wilson, Sofia Vergara, and Tom Brady, to name a few – to offer classes based on his signature training style for a limited time.
Every Friday in April 2022, you can take a special Peterson-style class at F45 studios, using the rep-based pyramid workout he does with all his clients. The hybrid workout combines cardio, resistance, agility, and core movements, so you truly get a full-body challenge.
In case you’re not near an F45 studio – or you simply want to sweat at home – Peterson shared an exclusive version of his F45 signature workout for you to try on your own.
Gunnar Peterson’s Pyramid-Style F45 Workout
Directions: Do a dynamic warmup that gets your heart rate pumping and works through your range of motion, such as this 5-minute workout warmup from Kelsey Wells.
This workout has eight supersets with two moves in each, meant to be performed in a pyramid format: You start by doing 12 reps of the first exercise in each superset, then do 12 reps of the second exercise. Then you do 10 reps of the first exercise and 10 reps of the second, and continue, dropping two reps from each move until you’ve completed a total of four rounds.
- Round 1: 12 reps of each move
- Round 2: 10 reps of each move
- Round 3: eight reps of each move
- Round 4: six reps of each move
You’ll have four minutes to try to “finish” the pyramid – meaning, to complete the fourth set of 6 reps – but don’t rush, and focus on form over speed. If you do finish before the four minutes are up, you can start working your way back up the pyramid. And after four minutes, you’ll rest for 45 seconds before moving on to the next superset. Grab a water bottle and a sweat towel, and let’s jump in.
Exercise 1: Frog Squat
- Begin standing with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart and your feet angled outwards. Bend over to place your elbows on the insides of your knees, pressing palms together and keeping a flat back.
- Lower your hips into a yoga squat, stopping when you feel a stretch in your adductors.
- Drive your hips up so that your legs are almost straight, returning to starting position.
Exercise 2: Dumbbell Sprawl
- Place two dumbbells or Ybells on the floor, shoulder-width apart. Start standing just behind the weights.
- Squat down and grab the handles of the dumbbells, and jump both feet back into a plank position, making sure your entire body is in a straight line.
- Quickly jump both feet back up to the starting position, making sure the weight is evenly distributed in your feet, and stand, bringing dumbbells up with you.
Alternate between the two Superset 1 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.
Exercise 1: Sandbag Reverse Lunge With Rotation
- Start standing, holding the sandbag handles with an overhand grip (wrists facing your body).
- Take a step backward with one leg, lowering into a lunge. As you do so, move the sandbag with your arms to the outside of the front leg. Be sure to keep the core engaged through this movement.
- Step the rear leg forward to stand, and return the sandbag to the front of your body.
- Repeat on the other side. That’s one rep.
Exercise 2: Sandbag Clean and Jump
- Start standing with feet under hips, holding the sandbag with palms facing thighs.
- Clean the sandbag: Bring elbows up, and quickly flick the hands underneath the sandbag to catch it at your chest. The clean component needs to be explosive; keep your core tight, and use a lot of force to bring the bag to your chest, keeping a small bend in your knees.
- Sink into a quarter squat, and jump off the ground, landing with soft knees. Lower the sandbag to starting position.
Alternate between the two Superset 2 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.
Exercise 1: Dumbbell Renegade Row
- Place both dumbbells on the ground shoulder-width apart. Begin in a high-plank position with each hand holding a dumbbell. Ensure your body is straight with your core drawing in toward your belly button and your glutes engaged.
- Lift one dumbbell off the ground, driving your elbow upward alongside your torso by engaging your back muscles. Try to keep hips and shoulders square to the floor. Return the dumbbell to the ground, then repeat on the other side. That’s one rep.
Exercise 2: Alternating Dumbbell Floor Press
- Start lying on your back with knees slightly bent and feet flat on the floor. Hold a dumbbell in each hand over your chest, wrists facing toward feet.
- Lower the right dumbbell with control until your elbow is almost at a 90-degree angle.
- Use your chest muscles to press the arm back up to the starting position. Repeat on the other side. That’s one rep.
Alternate between the two Superset 3 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.
Exercise 1: Dumbbell Front Squats
- Standing with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, hold a dumbbell in each hand on top of shoulders.
- Bend your knees, and set your hips back to lower into a squat, keeping chest proud and feet flat on the floor.
- Drive through your glutes to return to standing position.
Exercise 2: Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
- Start standing with feet hip-width apart, a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing your legs.
- With a straight back and engaged core, push your hips backward, sliding the dumbbells down your legs until they reach your mid shin.
- Keeping a neutral spine, push your hips forward to return to the starting position.
Alternate between the two Superset 4 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.
Exercise 1: Burpee
- Start standing tall with feet hip-width apart.
- Squat down to place palms to the floor, and jump your legs backward so your body is in a pushup position with hands underneath shoulders.
- Lower chest to floor. Immediately press back up to plank, jump your feet in toward your hands, and stand and jump, raising hands overhead. Land softly with knees bent in the starting position.
Exercise 2: Predator Jack
- Start standing with feet together and arms extended straight out in front of chest with palms together.
- Jump your feet apart, landing in a sumo squat position. At the same time, open your arms wide.
- Jump to bring feet and arms back together. (Think: like a cross jack but without crossing your hands and feet.)
Alternate between the two Superset 5 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.
Exercise 1: Over-Shoulder Throw
- Start with the slamball on the ground and feet hip-width apart.
- Lower yourself into a squat position to pick up the ball. Drive through your feet to stand, pushing the ball over your shoulder.
Exercise 2: Butterfly Slams
- Start sitting on the floor with the soles of your feet touching and knees open in a diamond shape.
- Holding onto a light slamball, lower your back to the ground, and touch the ball behind your head.
- Crunch up with the ball still above your head until you return back to sitting position, and slam the ball between your legs.
Alternate between the two Superset 6 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.
Exercise 1: Bent-Over Row
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and knees softly bent, holding a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing in toward each other. With a straight back, push your hips backward, and lower dumbbells until they reach your knees.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together, and row the dumbbells up to your ribs.
- With control, lower the dumbbells to your knees. Keep your core engaged throughout the movement.
Exercise 2: Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and a dumbbell in each hand. Rack dumbbells over shoulders with palms facing forward.
- Press the dumbbells directly overhead until your arms are fully extended without locking your elbows.
- With control, lower the dumbbells to shoulders.
Alternate between the two Superset 7 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.
Exercise 1: Dumbbell Step-Up
- Start standing in front of a box, bench, or sturdy step with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Place your left foot on the box, and then drive through your left foot to stand with both feet on the box.
- With control, step the right foot down onto the floor. That’s one rep. Repeat on the other side, and continue alternating.
Exercise 2: Hip Thruster
- Lay face up on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor in line with your hips. Place a dumbbell horizontally across your hips.
- Squeeze your glutes, and push through the feet to lift your hips into the air until your body forms a straight line from shoulders to knees.
- Lower hips to the ground, being careful to keep your back flat and core engaged throughout the movement.
Alternate between the two Superset 8 exercises in a pyramid format for four minutes. Rest for 45 seconds.