On tonights menu: Sam Wood's red lentil Minestrone recipe. This hearty (and healthy) soup is loaded with Winter vegetables like lentils, cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes and kale that are not only good for you but fill you up, meaning you'll be less inclined to reach for those post-dinner snacks.
Book mark this one for winter because it's about to become one of your go-to weeknight meals.
Scroll for the recipe.
- 1 cup(s) McKenzie's Red Split Lentils rinsed
3 cup(s) water
3 teaspoon(s) olive oil (extra virgin)
3/4 onion (brown) diced
1 1/2 carrot(s) sliced
3 cup(s) cauliflower chopped into small florets
2 1/4 cup(s) potato(es) cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cup(s) diced tomatoes (canned)
3 cup(s) vegetable stock
Salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup(s) kale
3 slice(s) sourdough (or gluten free) bread
- Start by adding the split red lentils and water to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 6 minutes, until lentils are cooked.
- In the meantime, add the olive oil and onion into a medium saucepan over medium heat and saute for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add the carrot, cauliflower, potato, diced tomatoes and vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils and kale, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
- Serve with fresh or toasted sourdough.
- Serves 3
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 34 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving